Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Mildly, Alcohol Free Colgate Total Daily Repair Mouthwash Works For A While!


The Good: Appears to actually kill some of the germs that cause bad breath
The Bad: Does not freshen breath well or for very long, The jury's out on the "remineralizing enamel," Comparatively expensive
The Basics: Momentarily effective, the long-term immediate and long-term benefits of Fresh Mint Alcohol Free Colgate Total Daily Repair Mouthwash remains less proven.


It has been a while since I reviewed a mouthwash. The reason behind that is pretty simple; I found one that I liked and that was very effective. Despite that, I am open to trying new things and after a few weeks of using a new (to me) mouthwash, I figured that it was time to review it. The new mouthwash is Colgate Total Daily Repair Fresh Mint mouthwash.

Alcohol Free Colgate Total Daily Repair is a liquid that comes in an 8.4 fl. oz. bottle and I tried the Fresh Mint flavor twice daily for a week before penning this review. Alcohol Free Colgate Total Daily Repair mouthwash is designed to restore enamel to teeth, fight cavities, kill bad breath germs, and freshen breath, all without alcohol. The whole "alcohol free" thing is designed to make mouthwashes more accessible to children and alcoholics, but my experiences have found those products to be a bit less effective. Alcohol Free Colgate Total Daily Repair mouthwash is, unfortunately, no exception, though it is not as bad as some other alcohol free products I have reviewed!

Alcohol Free Colgate Total Daily Repair is a light pale blue liquid that comes in a clear plastic bottle. The 8.4 bottle is enough for about a month of daily use for two people (if my guess based on my family's usage is any indication). The Alcohol Free Colgate Total Daily Repair Clean Mint is a watery liquid with no leg that is designed to be swished in the consumer's mouth, gargled at the back of their throat and then spit out.

To use, simply twist open the cap, fill it with the solution (or fill your mouth right from the bottle - the fluid is supposed to be antiseptic, so it shouldn't hurt!) and then tip the cap into your mouth. Then, swish the fluid around in your mouth for as long as you can and/or gargle it, then spit it out without swallowing it.

Using the Alcohol Free Colgate Total Daily Repair mouthwash has few demonstrable effects. First, there is no noticeable tingle or other sensation when using this mouthwash. The mouth does not feel cleaner from using it. The mint flavor is not terribly strong and it did not make my breath smell minty (or if it did, that effect did not last for more than five minutes).

To its credit, however, the Alcohol Free Colgate Total Daily Repair mouthwash does actually appear to kill bad breath germs. Whenever I have used the Alcohol Free Colgate Total Daily Repair mouthwash, it has stopped my bad breath. My breath does not take on a minty smell for any noticeable length of time, but the Alcohol Free Colgate Total Daily Repair mouthwash effectively neutralizes my morning breath, which was getting worse in the weeks before I started using this.

The other key element that the Alcohol Free Colgate Total Daily Repair mouthwash is supposed to possess is a repairative property. This mouthwash is supposed to help remineralized damaged enamel on teeth. I have some damage to some of my enamel and after a week of daily use of the Alcohol Free Colgate Total Daily Repair mouthwash, there has been no noticeable improvement.

As a result, I found it impossible to recommend Alcohol Free Colgate Total Daily Repair mouthwash; I'll stick with a mouthwash that kills bad breath germs and leaves my breath minty as opposed to one that neutralizes bad breath and does not quite do the rest of what it promises.

For other mouthwashes, please check out my reviews of:
Listerine Zero Clean Mint Mouthwash
Listerine Whitening Vibrant White Clean Mint
Crest Whitening Rinse

3.5/10

For other health and beauty products, please visit my Health And Beauty Review Index Page!

© 2017 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment