Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Less Of A Food, More Of An Adhesive For Popcorn Seasonings; Kernel Season’s Popcorn Spritzer Butter Works!


The Good: Easy to use, Works!, Nonintrusive flavor
The Bad: Aerosol, Expensive
The Basics: Kernel Season’s Popcorn Spritzer Butter is a decent way to affix popcorn seasonings to popcorn, despite its mediocre delivery system that makes it hard to get the most out of the product.


Sometimes, something comes across my desk that does not quite fit the neat categories I have created for my reviews. Those who follow my many, many reviews, know that I have a pretty standard form for my food reviews. And yet, this review of the Kernel Season’s Popcorn Spritzer will not follow that usual form. The reason for that is simple: this product has more in common with an adhesive than a food.

That is not to say that Kernel Season’s Popcorn Spritzer tastes like glue; it does not. However, the butter flavor for this popcorn seasoning is very mild. The whole purpose of Kernel Season’s Popcorn Spritzer is to help adhere popcorn seasonings or spices to popcorn without having to use margarine. I have accomplished much of the same thing using (pump) spray margarine, though that usually nets a slightly more buttery flavor, which can be problematic with weaker popcorn seasonings.

The Kernel Season’s Popcorn Spritzer Butter comes in a 2.5 oz. aerosol spray can. To dispense the spray is very easy. After removing the plastic cap, one need only shake up the canister and as the popcorn is coming out of the hot air popper, press down on the nozzle (while the canister is 6 – 12” away from the popcorn). The aerosol can (which I am, as a general rule, not fond of whatwith growing up in the 1980’s, when we knew these things helped destroy the ozone layer), is a problematic delivery system for the Kernel Season’s Popcorn Spritzer. The recommended serving size is 1/3 of a second’s worth of spray. I don’t know about you, but I can’t count in 1/3 seconds. Regardless, with a 1/3 second spray being considered the proper serving size, that allows Kernel Season’s to declare that a canister has 232 servings. I know that I get two to three batches of popcorn (1 1/4 cups of unpopped popcorn) out of one canister.

So, why do I even recommend Kernel Season’s Popcorn Spritzer or get excited when it is part of a gift set? The simple reason is, that it works! Without overwhelming the flavor of the popcorn seasonings I want to get to stick to my fresh-popped popcorn, Kernel Season’s Popcorn Spritzer adheres the Kernel Season’s sprinkle-on flavors perfectly. It is that simple.

Butter flavored Kernel Season’s Popcorn Spritzer may not be the boldest flavor on its own and using it may deplete the ozone layer and the lack of an easy way to regulate how much is actually being used may make one go through this spray can inordinately fast, but it does what it promises and it does it very well. That, at the very least, is laudable.

For other Kernel Season’s products, please check out my reviews of:
Nacho Cheddar Popcorn Seasoning
Parmesan & Garlic Popcorn Seasoning
Bacon Cheddar Popcorn Seasoning

5.5/10

For other kitchen product reviews, be sure to visit my Home And Garden Review Index Page for an organized listing!

© 2012 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment