Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Aromatic And Pleasant, Suave Soothing Lavender Lilac Shampoo (Mostly) Works!


The Good: Wonderful floral scent, Easy to use, No residue left in hair, Inexpensive
The Bad: Minor bottle issue, Smell dissipates in hair fast
The Basics: Suave Soothing Lavender Lilac Shampoo is an inexpensive way to clean hair and give one a relaxing shower experience!


When it comes to shampoos, I tend to shake up my hair cleaning regimen about once a month in order to allow me to review more products and experiment with more experiences. My hair, generally, loves this because by changing one’s shampoo – especially between different brands – one’s hair usually does not get any build-up. Like shampoos cause build-up. So, shifting to a regular Suave Naturals shampoo from the more pricey shampoo I’d been using, I had reasonable expectations for the Suave Naturals Soothing Lavender Lilac shampoo.

Fortunately, those expectations were (largely) met.

My wife is more for the floral smells and I am more for the fruity ones when it comes to hair products, but Suave Soothing Lavender Lilac shampoo was so good, it made me a convert to flowers for the last month! I'll confess that I'm not well-versed in flower scents - I can tell pines from roses and roses from lilacs, but that's pretty much it! - but the pleasant scent of Suave Soothing Lavender Lilac was enough to make me enjoy the shower and if only that smell endured on the hair better, I would more enthusiastically recommend it.

Suave has been expanding its line of inexpensive shampoos and conditioners. In virtually every market in the United States, Suave shampoos and conditioners may be found on sale for $1.00 for a 15 fl. oz. bottle. Soothing Lavender Lilac shampoo seems is a fairly standard scented shampoo for all hairs that does not seem to rely on gimmicks and is not bad for a staple shampoo or a good one for those looking for a change of pace from fruit or neutral scented shampoos. The 15 fl. oz. bottle is a cylindrical tube bottle with a flip-top lid that is easy enough to open with one hand, sort of. The new bottle actually is not perfectly cylindrical, having instead two flatter spots on the sides, which aid the user in holding it. While not contoured, this does make the bottle easier to hold when it gets wet.

More problematic is the lid. The lid is a standard flip-top lid and so long as the bottle is not wet, there ought to be no problem with using one's thumb to flip the top. The issue, however, is that the top of the bottle is a pressure ring, not a screw on top. What this means is that when one applies pressure to the top to open the spout, the user is almost just as likely to flip the entire top off. This is annoying and my first experience with this top (on another Suave shampoo) resulted in the top coming off through sheer force of gravity and perhaps the best advice I might give is to hold the bottles by the bottom. I did not have any problems with this with the Soothing Lavender Lilac shampoo, but it is worth noting there is the potential for disaster here.

Inside the bottles is Soothing Lavender Lilac shampoo and it is a light lilac-colored translucent gel. This shampoo has good leg and is refreshingly more viscous than watery. The scent is a very flowery scent that is the exact scent of lilacs. Having grown up in a city that has an annual lilac festival, I recognize the scent of lilacs and this shampoo has that scent. It lacks the spicier smell of lavender, except in the shower when interacting with the steam. For those looking for a strong scent in the shower, this lives up well. It does not, however, remain in the hair for much time afterward.

When in the shower and one's nostrils are opened by the steam (I tend to like very hot showers) this shampoo diffuses wonderfully. I anticipated that in the shower, I would have lilac and lavender scented showers and the rich floral smell did fill the tub area and bathroom well, just by being opened and warmed up. Soothing Lavender Lilac shampoo effervesces well and prepares the user for a great cleaning experience. As well, it seems to have a potent-enough smell that it continues to burst forth with floral scent each time the bottle is opened.

When it comes to use, this is a simple shampoo and one need only flip the lid and dispense a small amount into the palm of the hand before applying it to the hair. The Soothing Lavender Lilac shampoo requires only about a quarter-sized dollop to clean a full head of hair. This lathered up well, which meant I could get away with using less of it. I have long hair and as a result, shampoo can be an annoying expense when the shampoo I am using does not lather up and clean well.

In the case of the Soothing Lavender Lilac, it lathers up wonderfully, such that a quarter-sized dollop can easily stretch to coat a very full head of hair, like mine. Used judiciously thus, the 15 oz. bottle may easily last about six weeks with daily hair washings. This makes its value a little greater than some shampoos I've recently tested.

As a shampoo, it works. Hair comes out looking and feeling cleaner after its use than before. I think the most objective test for a shampoo is to see if hair is cleaner using the shampoo vs. rinsing your hair with water alone and for the basic functioning of a shampoo the Soothing Lavender Lilac shampoo lived up to that basic litmus test. Even so, what Soothing Lavender Lilac did so well was both cut through the grease and grime and build-up from the last shampoo I used. There was no need to rinse and reapply. On the first try, this shampoo got my hair completely clean. It was wonderful in that regard!

I tend to like shampoos that leave my hair smelling delightful, like whatever scent they have lured me in with. Given that the Soothing Lavender Lilac Shampoo seemed to smell significantly like lilac initially in the bottle and in the shower, I was a little disappointed that the smell did not remain in my hair.

Soothing Lavender Lilac Shampoo has no discernible conditioning properties. There is a separate conditioner that has the same scent. As it stands, Soothing Lavender Lilac works fine as a day to day shampoo that will clean your hair and those looking for a bold scent and a shampoo that strips away dirt and bothersome scents, this is the shampoo for you, with or without its accompanying conditioner! It is well worth picking up!

For other Suave shampoo reviews, please visit my takes on:
Suave Professionals Sleek
Suave Professionals Men Deep Clean Peppermint Shampoo
Suave Professionals Almond + Shea Butter
Refreshing Waterfall Mist
Tropical Coconut
Fresh Mountain Strawberry
Ocean Breeze
Juicy Green Apple
Orchid Petal
Suave Professionals Rosemary Mint

7.5/10

For other health and beauty products, please check out my index page by clicking here!

© 2012 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment