Sunday, July 15, 2012

Utterly Worthless, Grape 6 Hour Power Energy Shots Should Be Avoided!


The Good: None that I can find
The Bad: Tastes absolutely gross, Simply did not work, Expensive.
The Basics: 6 Hour Power Grape is an utter failure, which is baffling, but has been my experience.


Recently, I made a “day” trip to Northern Michigan from Upstate New York in order to visit my wife, who is working there for the summer. Given that my smart plan to drive through the night depended, in part, on my getting real sleep during the day before my journey and that did not really happen, I broke down and for the first time in my many, many travels, I bought one of the energy shots sold at gas stations. I bought the NVE Pharmaceuticals Very Berry 6 Hour Energy Shot (reviewed here!) and it gave me the boost I needed to keep me awake the last three hours of my trip there. Because of that, I decided on the way out of Michigan to stock up and I bought a few two-packs of 6 Hour Energy Shots for the drive home. One of them was a two-pack (the Stacker 2) of 6 Hour Power Grape energy shots.

And it was utterly worthless.

Seriously, I nearly died on the road on my way home because the Grape flavor shot did not work. Reasoning that it might have been ineffective because I had been awake for thirty hours when I took it on the way home and that I had eaten some Taco Bell food prior to taking the energy shot, I avoided panning the product.

Until today.

This morning, after getting my usual six hours of sleep, I was feeling a little sluggish and when I went into work, I noticed I was having trouble focusing on my monitor and my work. After half an hour of fighting that feeling, I took the Grape 6 Hour Power Energy Shot I have been carrying around for the last two weeks.

When I awoke from the three hour nap that I unexpectedly took, I decided it was time to rip this product a new one.

Basics

6 Hour Power is a concentrated energy beverage, designed primarily for keeping people awake and alert, usually when they are on a long drive. 6 Hour Power Grape comes in a 2 fl. oz. plastic bottle that small and smooth. The #1 recyclable bottle is filled with the translucent purple liquid that is Grape 6 Hour Power. 6 Hour Power is produced by NVE Pharmaceuticals. The 2 oz. bottle is a single serving.

Ease Of Preparation

6 Hour Power is a liquid in a small 2 oz. bottle; preparation is as easy as opening a plastic bottle. 6 Hour Power has a plastic cap that easily twists off and can be put back on in order to reseal it.

Taste

6 Hour Power Grape actually smells just like melted grape popsicles. The scent is distinctive and sweeter than actual grapes, but it is an enjoyable scent nonetheless.

Sadly, the taste is nothing like grapes. Sour and bitter, the closes the Grape 6 Hour Power gets is a medicinal aftertaste that brought back repressed childhood memories of throwing up hours after having Robitussen Cough Medication. Thanks for that memory, 6 Hour Power! This flavor is bitter and sour and defines “foul tasting.” It leaves a dry, acidic, medicinal aftertaste in the mouth and it is even worse than the Very Berry flavor, putting it in the top five worst things I have ever tasted in my life. Wait, I just burped; that taste now makes it into the top 3!

Nutrition

As an energy drink, 6 Hour Power Grape is designed to provide an energy boost by pumping the consumer full of B vitamins and enzymes that break down fat into simple carbohydrates. While it claims to energize for six hours, both times I have used the Grape flavor, it has utterly failed me (which leaves me baffled because it seems like it would be the same formula as the Very Berry flavor that actually worked).

Nutritionally, 6 Hour Power Grape is terrible. It is primarily composed of filtered water, the energy blend (proprietary), Vitamin B6 and Vitamin B12. It contains no fruit juice, so it is unsurprising that the flavor is so weak on berry taste. It has no fat and no carbs. Still, there is 10 mg of sodium in each serving. There is also 8333% of the RDA of Vitamin B12 and 2000% of Vitamin B6!

Storage/Clean-up

6 Hour Power Grape comes in a plastic bottle and it keeps for quite a while. The two-pack I bought two weeks ago had an expiration date of March 28, 2016. Stored in a cool place, it ought to be fine at least until its expiration date (whatwith it being mostly vitamins).

This drink is a clear purple color, but if it gets on light fabrics it will certainly stain them. Consult a care guide for your clothes, though I suspect only the lightest clothes would need bleach to get this out. Still, the drink wipes off surfaces easily with a cloth, assuming they are impermeable.

Overall

6 Hour Power Grape energy shots are an absolute waste of money that taste horrible and do not deliver the promised effect.

For other energy drinks, please check out my reviews of:
Celestial Seasonings Fast Lane Tea
The Simpsons Flaming Moe Energy Drink
Powerade Fruit Punch

0/10

For other food reviews, please visit my index page for a complete listing by clicking here!

© 2012 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment